Self Refer / Self Help / Self Certification

Self Help, Self Referral, Certificates

Antenatal / Pregnancy Care

We would like to express our congratulations if you are pregnant and happy to be so.

Audiology – Hearing

You can self refer for a free hearing test free at Boots Hearing Care or Specsavers or other local providers.


It can be very worrying if your child is unwell. Most child illnesses are self limiting and will get better with a little tender loving care.

The leaflet below is very helpful:

Coronavirus certificates / Fit notes/ Sick notes

Do not ask your GP for a fit note if you are off work because of coronavirus. Instead you can get an isolation note to send to your employer as proof you need to stay at home.

To find out more, see the coronavirus self-isolation advice.


If you have been recently diagnosed with Dementia or if you are a carer of someone with dementia you can contact the Havering Living Well With Dementia and the Carer Information and Support Programme:

email: [email protected]

Tel: 0300 150 3456



Are you seeking help, support or diagnosis regards Dyslexia? Click here.


What is the Barking & Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge Falls Service?

We are a multidisciplinary team working across the boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge. The team consists of a Falls Consultant, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Nurse, Integrated Care Assistants and Administrators. 

Whom do we target?

We assess and treat residents who are aged 60 and above and have any of the following:

  • Slip/trip/fall or near slip/trip/fall in the previous year
  • 5 medications or more
  • Have balance problems
  • Unable to rise from a chair of knee height

What is our aim?

  • To prevent onset of trips/slips and falls
  • Reduce the number of slips/trips/falls or near miss slips/trips and falls
  • Reduce hospital and A&E admissions
  • To minimise patient’s fear of falling and build confidence to achieve independence and quality of life
  • Educate patients and carers on coping strategies 

Please contact the team on: 

Social Crisis Team

The teams provide an out-of-hours service working with care professionals to advise and assist on social work matters including carrying out community risk assessments and supporting vulnerable individuals and families over the telephone.

You can find details of our Social Crisis Team here or Tel: 01708432000 or email [email protected]

Therapy / Counselling / Mental Health Self Referrals

You can self refer directly to our local mental health services for a spectrum of problems from stress through to significant depression and anxiety:

Havering Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) programme:

Havering MIND:

Please get in touch on 01708 457040 or email [email protected]

Support for People Bereaved by Suicide

Mind – Safe Connections – Local Support for People Facing Suicide: Grief in Pieces offers support through a range of options and is open to anyone who has been bereaved by suicide: Please self-refer here

Havering Mental Health Crisis Team

Call the crisis team only if you are in crisis, but they are the best port of call when the situation is very bad and you need help urgently: 0800 995 1000


Urgent Support – Free 24 hour support  The Samaritans Email: [email protected] Call: 116 123 


  • offers a wide range of therapeutic tools to help children and young people and support their mental wellbeing. Kooth is a free, safe and anonymous online wellbeing service for children and young people.
  • Samaritans – Dedicated volunteers will continue to support anyone in crisis from branches, wherever possible, during this challenging time. Call 116 123 
  • Young Minds  24/7 texting service, free on all major mobile networks, answered by trained volunteers who are supported by experienced clinical supervisors. Text: YM to 85258 
  • No Panic  is a registered charity that helps and supports those living with Panic Attacks, Phobias, Obsessive Compulsive Disorders and other related anxiety disorders.

No Panic also provides support for the carers of people who suffer from anxiety disorders.

Havering CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services

You can also contact and self refer to Havering CAMHS for child and adolescent mental health issues. (This include concerns re ADHD though we would strongly advise that these concerns are discussed first with your school and your school’s educational psychologist who is best placed to help and the specialist and gateway to children’s mental health services).

Tel: 0300 300 1888 Option 1 – Option 3
Email[email protected]

Self Care and Pharmacy

You can treat lots of common illnesses and injuries at home – in fact, that’s the best place for you. 

A big part of your recovery from these minor ailments like coughs and colds, grazes, minor strains and hangovers is to rest and drink plenty of fluids.

You can plan ahead by stocking up on some healthcare essentials like:

  • paracetamol or aspirin
  • indigestion remedies
  • plasters
  • rehydration remedies
  • a thermometer

You can find all these at your local pharmacy. Pharmacists give expert, confidential advice and treatment. There may be a very small wait but there is no need for an appointment. You can get advice about health issues and the best medicine for you.

Last year 8% of A&E visits could’ve been dealt with by a pharmacist. That means hundreds of thousands of people sat in A&E for hours when a nearby pharmacist could have seen them within minutes.

Many pharmacies also offer:

  • The morning after pill, for free to eligible customers
  • Allergy screening.
  • Chlamydia screening.
  • Medicine ‘MOTs’ – to help you use your treatments correctly.
  • New medicine service – to help you understand how to use new treatments.

Follow this link to find your nearest pharmacy

Sexual Health & Screening, Contraception, Emergency Contraception

For free home STI screening, emergency and routine contraceptive services click here

You can also directly access the locally run Sexual Health Services

WHEN DO I NEED A FIT NOTE? (aka sick note)

7 days off sick or less

If you’re off work sick for 7 days or less, your employer should not ask for medical evidence that you’ve been ill. Instead they can ask you to confirm that you’ve been ill. You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work. This is called self-certification.

More than 7 days off sick

If you’re off work sick for more than 7 days, your employer will usually ask for a fit note (or Statement of Fitness for Work) from a GP or hospital doctor. Fit notes are sometimes referred to as medical statements or a doctor’s note. Your Consultant must provide you with any certificate related to your hospital care.

Termination of Pregnancy

At WLMC we are here and able to support you in discussing your wishes and plans with your pregnancy, including termination. If you prefer, the local service also accepts self referrals.

Weight Loss

If your BMI is between 25-40 kg/m2 you can self refer to the free Havering Weight Loss Programme via this link or by email [[email protected]] or phone 01708 463181.

Wound Care and After Operation Care

We do not provide post-operative wound care. In Havering post-operative and simple wound care including dressings, suture removal etc is provided by Havering Health:

Book here:

For CHILDREN UNDER 16 please attend PAEDIATRIC A&E (Post-operative wound care should have been arranged by your surgeon). This service can not treat under 16s.

The simple wound care service manages acute wounds (cuts), post-surgical sutures or clips removal, routine dressings, superficial skin ulcers and first degree superficial burns.

All patients in Havering can book appointments for the following two sites:

  • Petersfield Surgery70 Petersfield AveRomfordRM3 9PD
  • Rosewood Medical Centre 30 Astra CloseHornchurchRM12 5NJ

If you think the wound is infected, leaking or opening please go to your local Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) or call 111.